[TriLUG] Re: cheap ethernet

lfwelty at nc.rr.com lfwelty at nc.rr.com
Sat May 31 21:37:15 EDT 2003

nice.

I use linksys exclusively when I can; Intel to do PXE netboots at
work, and 3com's when I hafta drop in a card and don't have anything
else lying around at the moment or when a tool/system-config requires
a 3com nic.

I've been *very*, very, happy w/ the Linksys cards. The only problem
I've run into with them was late in 1997 when some linksys NIC's
wouldn't autodetect 10/100 on a Linksys Switch - plug in to a catalyst
and it was fine. Problem seems to have been resolved since then though
as I haven't run into the problem again.

We lost 3 Intel eepro cards in one power outage during a storm last year.
It was a really, really ugly problem. The cards claimed they were happy
via diagnostics, upgraded the card BIOS's fine, but they WOULD NOT NETBOOT.
If you brought a system up on it manually w/o netboot - card's appeared
to work fine. Eventually replaced the eepro's in question w/ new eepro cards
and netbooting worked fine. We put the bad cards in the lab where no
netbooting is required - and they've been fine. I guess the PXE rom got
tweaked just enough to fail netbooting.

I have had to work with a few 3com's. The only real problem I had was
when the module version changed from 3c905? to 3c59x? and things weren't
quite the same - but subsequent revisions seems to have fixed this too.

Jim Ray wrote:
> I used to use 3com almost exclusively and stopped after a key
> infrastructure component failed.  It had a lifetime warranty.  3com said
> it had reached its lifetime after 5 years and is not under warranty.

  lfwelty at nc.rr.com: Earth is a beta site, I just wish that damn
                     pink elephant would give me my mouse back.