[TriLUG] I'm creating a riot - Devorak says "Linux is dead" - SCO vs. IBM

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jun 4 10:44:26 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 09:58, Michael Thompson wrote:
> Was that supposed to be 'village id10t?'  ;)
>
> > Dvorak is the village internet of the computing community.  He's not
> > often right, but his opinions and predictions are sensational enough to
> > keep him gainfully employed.

The guy has a very poor understanding of OpenSource and Linux in
particular.

He paints 4 scenarios and in 3 of them Linux (for mysterious reasons)
dies out....  The dude is whacked.

  Version  A: the identified code is pulled out of the kernel and that
code is re-written from scratch. This is part of the reason they don't
want to show the code to *anyone*. BSD went through this once and came
out much better.

  Version B: there is no code violation here, no affect on Linux.

  Version C: Nope. This is actually the most likely prospect (The
dispute drags on and on and on across years).  The net affect to Linux
may be a code split - folks trying to guess what the disputed code is...
None of my clients are running away from Linux, and they know about the
dispute.

  Version D: This is also fairly likely (Case is thrown out) for two
reasons - IBM has prior source code out it's wazoo, and the "ownership"
of the patents is murky - with Novell being the Name on the books at the
patent office (now *that* is an Ace).

Jon

  Schwarzenegger: I have a headache...
  Devorak:        It might be a tumor!