[TriLUG] Re: NT 4.0 backup, knoppix, other ideas?

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Wed Jun 4 14:01:05 EDT 2003

> [gregbrown at mindspring.com]
> A good friend has a NT 4.0 machine in bad shape.  It won't load
> drivers and constantly complains about "the security subsystem" not
> starting.  I've tried to load LAN drivers for a 3Com PCMCIA card but
> it doesn't work - neither does loading drivers for a 802.11b card
> from Lucent.  Reloading the OS from an old NT 4.0 CD doesn't work
> either (more blah blah about the "security subsystem").

May wanna try NTRecover or Remote Recover from sysinternals

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntrecover.shtml
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/remoterecover.shtml

Although if it's indeed just a "get the data off, screw the machine"
situation, then the various livecd's will work fine, I'd imagine :)

sysinternals and cygwin make win2k almost liveable :)
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4