[TriLUG] ftp question.

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Jun 4 16:46:05 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 16:44, Ian Zhang wrote:
> I got a linux box behind a cable modem router.  I tried to ftp to my
> cable IP address.   I can login.  But when I do the "ls" command under ftp,
> I got the following error:
>

> 331 Please specify the password.
> Password:
> 230 Login successful. Have fun.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp> ls
> 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,2,90,46,103)
> 425 Security: Bad IP connecting.
> ftp>

Most likely, your firewall/router is not configured to allow passive FTP
connections.  Try using active FTP (that's likely to fail, too, however,
unless you've configured your Linux box as the "DMZ host" on your router
and forwarded all ports there).  Even better, use a secure protocol like
sftp, scp, or fish (all of these run on top of the ssh port 22).

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |