[TriLUG] Samba, what the hey?

Dr. David Johnson david at wealthfunnel.com
Wed Jun 4 22:49:02 EDT 2003

Well I have a couple Qs about Samba.
First, I am unclear about the authentication.
Set up samba server and client on linux,
and was only able to see the shares on my
Win2000 machine after authentication as
root. Now, there was no account named root
on my Win2000. Well that was wild.

But now after I did reinstall of Mandrake 9.1
on my linux machine I could see the samba
share I set up on my Win2000 box but ONLY
the dir name, not ANY of the contents (via Konqueror
in KDE). But when I tried smbclient I could log on
and see all subdirs and copy files from the Win2000
into Linux. Why can't I see them from the GUI???

The adventure continues... thanks gang!

David