[TriLUG] a simple question

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Thu Jun 5 08:38:34 EDT 2003

Yes, sshd is on by default. If during the install a "medium" firewall was
chosen, ssh ports accept ssh/sftp requests. Syntax for ssh:

Encrypted ssh shell (telnet): ssh user at hostname .If current username is the
same as the machine you are connecting to, simply: ssh hostname

Encrypted sftp using ssh: sftp user at hostname .If current username is the
same as the machine you are connecting to, simply: sftp hostname

Please note you do not need ftp turned on if you use sftp portion of sshd.
It's a secure ftp. I'd recommend you try ssh and sftp first.

If you are connecting from a windows box, you can use Tera Term Pro w/SSH or
PuTTy. They both are free and support ssh.