[TriLUG] Linux Fileserver to replace w2k

bp bpevans at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 11 16:26:22 EDT 2003

Jason Tower wrote:

>RHAS 2.1 does not support LVM but redhat 9 does, setting it up during
>installation is a snap.  there are no GUI tools post-install, but the CLI
>tools work well.
>
>for a file server with dual IDE disks you can easily do LVM on top of software
>RAID 1, which gives you the benefits of LVM and disk redundancy at the same
>time without expensive scsi raid hardware.  i've done this on several boxes
>and have never had any problems.  if you want raid 5 i'd suggest using a
>3ware ide raid controller instead of software raid, but for mirroring
>software raid is usually fine.  good luck!

We aren't storing anything important so RAID redundancy is not a goal,
rather having a single mount point span several physical volumes.  (I'm
scraping together several old smaller drives)

So, it sounds like RedHat 9 could handle 3 drives setup as a big'ol
logical /public mount?
RH9 is stable/released now, right?
-bp