[TriLUG] New member re-location question

Patrick Williams patwill2 at williamsIT.com
Fri Jun 13 00:46:36 EDT 2003

I fully agree that the "mess" began on Bubba's watch, but now what is being
done to stem the tide?  For every programming job available here there are
probably 10 Indians and 100 Chinese waiting to take it.  And, according to
"The Bell Curve" (Herrnstein and Murray) they are smarter than us.

But if they are so smart why do they have such poverty in their respective
countries with no hi-tech jobs there?  Where are the inventors and promoters
that would make them the richest country in the world?  Why do they come to
the US for education?

I am a child of the 50's and have watched the slow erosion of the moral
fiber of this country and with it the oncoming greed syndrome and purchased
law-makers.

There was a time when you had to be a citizen in order to own property in
the US, but the big real-estate and property owners got the politicians to
change the law.  Since then more and more laws have changed or been
temporarily abridged to lower the cost of labor of all skill levels.  The
unions have been beaten asunder, the farmers have had to sell out to the big
concerns and now it's our turn.

This country is not big enough to take on all the world's troubles and work
forces.  Yet we continue to allow the laws to change or not be enforced at
all so that the rich and powerful will have cheap labor and nannies for $2
per hour.

Maybe I have lived too long and can see where the curve is progressing... or
maybe everyone is happy with their new jobs and could care less about going
back to programming careers.