[TriLUG] permissions for redhat gui tool

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Fri Jun 13 11:11:16 EDT 2003

Jason Tower wrote:

>you could leave the perms as is and use sudo to give them the ability to run
>that single command with root privileges.
>
>jason
>
>On Friday 13 June 2003 10:48, Ryan Leathers wrote:
>

>>Hi gang,
>>
>>I'd like to allow users to use the redhat-config-printers gui tool
>>without needing administrative privs.  Is there anything I should do in
>>addition to chmod'ing it?
>>
>>Ryan

Be careful if you're worried about security.  Most/all of the
redhat-config-* programs are actually scripts.  And since it is a
script, chmod'ing it won't work either. You could end up with a real
mess on your hands with a someone with some minimal hacking skills.

Reference:
http://www.dwheeler.com/secure-programs/Secure-Programs-HOWTO/avoid-setuid.html

Peace.

john