[TriLUG] RV:

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Fri Jun 13 17:38:39 EDT 2003

Joseph Tate [jtate at dragonstrider.com] wrote:
> Top is not a program that I'd run from cron. All of the information that
> is given through the top command is available on the /proc file system.
> Check that out to see if you can get the information you want directly
> instead of a readout from top. If you insist on using cron, try setting
> the TERM environment variable in your script. Set it to something like
> vt100 or xterm or linux or whatever you'd like.

If you want to run top out of cron, or a script, or something, look at
its man page and some of the options.  Here's a start/hint:
TERM=vt100 COLUMNS=500 top -n 1 -b -c

Note that these may be Linux specific.

Mike
--
"If life hands you lemons, YOU BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH
 YOUR LASER CANNONS!" -- Brak