[TriLUG] Gnome menus

Lee Fickenscher elfick at trilug.org
Mon Jun 16 17:51:43 EDT 2003

On 16 Jun 2003 15:52:14 -0400
Roy Vestal <rvestal at trilug.org> wrote:

> Okey, I know there is no editor for Gnome menus. Wanna say that before
> this question.
>
> I have RHL 9, stock Gnome installed. I've installed stuff that's added
> the "Extras" menu. I want to move it to the regular menu and get rid of
> said "Extras" menu. Anyone done this yet?

Roy,
I've been messing around with the innards of the gnome menu system for
the last couple of days trying to rid myself of the KDE menu that found
its way in when I installed KDE. While I wasn't able to find out how to
 get rid of it yet, I did learn quite a bit about editing the menu in
general. The following link is by far the best piece of info I have
found:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2002-August/msg00166.html

What it boils down to is that the GUI menu editor for gnome is actually
nautilus. However some items don't really live in the gnome menu and
are merged in at some point (such as my slippery KDE menu) and they
can be hard to track down. On my system,
/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users.vfolder-info
is the root of all evil... follow the trail from there....

HTH,
Lee