[TriLUG] anyone want a freevo system?

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 18 09:04:34 EDT 2003

I am in need of a Personal Video Recording system.  I like the
Linux-based Freevo system as it appears to do most of what I would like
to have in a system.  Only one problem  - I have Direct-TV satellite
and not standard cable.  From the looks of it Freevo is more or less a
cable-only thing.  I've checked around with some other roll-your-own
PVRs from Myth TV and the "Dave Dina Project" but nothing matches the
hardware I have at the house - but Freevo is the closest (except for
that DirectTV thing).

So, people, the question is does anyone else on the list want a Freevo
system that also has DirectTV?  It would be nice to collaborate with
someone on this project instead of having to worry about modifying the
entire system myself (given that I'll probably have to learn python at
the very least just to get started).

To throw yet another monkey-wrench into the system I'd also like the
modded Freevo to be able to record radio shows as well - mostly This
American Life and other NPR stuff.  I'd like to rip those shows to MP3
(yes, yes, I know) so I can play them back via my iPod.  But that's
really a gravy-train kinda feature.

The good news is Mark Turner has already forwarded me some links on how
to change channels on the DirectTV system via the serial port using
Perl, so at least that small part is one.

Is anyone else interested in setting up a group effort/hack on this
project?

Greg

Some links:

http://freevo.sourceforge.net			- Freevo's main page