[TriLUG] Attn: Samba Experts - Two Nics on same subnet?

bp bpevans at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 18 12:25:10 EDT 2003

You may remember my post last week about replacing a part-time w2k file
server with a dedicated linux file server.
Well, Here's my machine.  Pieced together from lab parts & has a 120gb
present from the lab manager on the way.

A Compaq PC6000, 300mhz P2, 256MB ram
+Primary IDE
    cdrom
    ibm deskstar 15gb (swap, home, & tmp partions here)
+Secondary IDE
    120 gb drive (soon, already ordered, huge public share)
+Onboard SCSI2
    wd 4.3 gb drive  (planning to install RH9 here)
PCI 10/100 Ethernet card (dns/ip=x1)
Onboard ethernet port  (dns/ip=fs)

The question.  I think I've got the hardware laid out as best I can
performance wise.  Now the question is with samba.  I have two static ip
addresses available as noted above.  I was hoping that my bottle next
will be the 10mb/s cisco switches we are on, so my first thought is to
run cables to two different switches and have samba listen to all
interfaces.  But then clients will have to use \\x1.lab.x.y\share OR
\\fs.lab.x.y\share to get the "closer" or "less congested" interface?

Are their any samba tricks for having two nic's on the same subnet to
boost performance?

*Ideally* i'd like to balance samba traffic across the two interfaces.

I've tried something like this in the past and it seemed that only one
nic ever got used.  But then again, I didn't know what I was doing. ;-)

Any advice appreciated.
-bp