[TriLUG] SCO has modified their legal argument

Geoff Purdy geoff.purdy at verizon.net
Thu Jun 19 16:24:12 EDT 2003

An article in MozillaQuest yesterday ( http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-20-CodeReview_Story04.html#Credentials-Appendix ) pointed out that the one of the "Expert" analysts shown code by SCO refused to discuss their credentials.

This same analyst, Laura Didio, was oft quoted about a week ago as saying they saw a "copy and paste" of Unix source into Linux source and stating "SCO has a credible case." ( http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,82143,00.html )

I did a bit of googling and found the following bio for what appears to be the same industry "expert" on the site of a former employer, the Giga Information Group ( http://www.gigaweb.com/Content_PDF/Bios/out/RBI-032000-00028.pdf ).

The bio lists such impressive credentials as "on-camera investigative reporter"; a B.A. in communications; a minor in French.

Not to say that someone can't become a self-taught expert, but given the credibility SCO and investors have attached to the analyst's opinion, I'd have expected at least a Ph.D.