[TriLUG] X won't start

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Thu Jun 19 19:21:30 EDT 2003

Ryan,
 I'd recommend getting apt-get, and use it to remove all XFree86
components. Apt will be easier to remove dependancies than RPM. Next,
run "up2date --nox -p" to update the packages you removed with Red Hat
Network. Finally, use "up2date -i pkg" to reinstall the X. It's a pain,
but it worked for me when I borked my X, playing with the drivers.

On my Pentium 733MHz/cable modem, it took about 1 hour.

HTH.