[TriLUG] OT Computer wont boot up

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Thu Jun 19 19:28:53 EDT 2003

Couple of things to try:

1: Reseat the RAM. Make sure you have discharged any ESD by simply
touching the power supply with the power supply *OFF* (no nasty shocks
please!).

2: Check all cables and power connections, esp. keyboards. Some M/B's
will fail post with no keyboard plugged in.

3: Remove all components, including disconnecting FDD/HDD/CDROM, with
the exception of the video. Try booting. Obviously the farthest it will
get is "no operating system found". If you do get this, plug in your
drives one at a time, starting with your HDD and see if you can get it
to work. Make sure the cables are connected pin 1 (stripe side) to pin
one on the drive and the board. Sometimes M/B's will not POST correctly
if the HDD cable is backwards.

4: Offer pizza and soft/hard drinks to your favorite TriLUG'er to come
over and help you look at it. Sometimes a 2nd set of eyes is all you
need.