[TriLUG] O.T., but interesting (SCO Protest)

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Mon Jun 23 10:58:47 EDT 2003

Just have to barge in here.  Jon, Smitty:

Smitty wrote:

>On Monday 23 June 2003 00:55, Jon Carnes wrote:
>

>>Just to set the record straight, and maybe muddy the waters a bit...
>>The "SCO Group" is not the same as SCO.  The original SCO that actually
>>helped out Linux no longer exists (well it goes by a different name) -
>>and the only thing that this Corp has in common with the original SCO is
>>the letters "SCO" in the name.

No, there's a lot more in common.  Most of the employees of The SCO
group were employees of SCO International or whatever it was called.  I
explain below.

>I used SCO as an abbreviated form of the present corporate name.
>I think most readers understood that from the context.
>

>>This company is really just a group of lawyers that has successfully
>>sued it's way to profits. They buy up "intellectual property" and then
>>milk all the participants they can.
>>

>The Canopy Group

Not so much, no.  Canopy is first and foremost a VC firm.  They
originally funded Caldera, as well as Lineo (which broke off from
Caldera and is now defunct, and it looks like some assets may have been
bought up by MetroWerks), and Linux Networx (a clustering company) and
are currently funding Mi-Co (the company I work for).  I don't think
they're behind this (though I'm sure they have plenty of stock ownership
in SCO/Caldera).

Our company attempted for quite some time to get our software working
with Caldera OpenLinux, but failed.  That was about the time that
Caldera acquired the "Server Software and Professional Services
divisions" of  SCO.  When Caldera bought SCO, the majority of the Linux
people that Caldera had working for them were "let go".  How SCO pulled
that coup d'état, I don't know, but the CEO leaves (or is forced out, I
don't know which) shortly thereafter, and Darl McBride becomes the new
CEO and transforms Caldera into what it is today.  The Caldera Linux
people who were displaced when SCO came in seemed to think that the SCO
people hated Linux, and that seems to have prevailed.

>>If they continue on with their past MO, then they *will* sue companies
>>using Linux.  They don't care if they are right or wrong - only if they
>>can get money, and they have plenty of legal talent sitting around with
>>nothing better to do.

I don't know where you got this from Jon?  Can you provide some
sources?  I think you're thinking of a different company.  Caldera as we
knew it 3 years ago, which produced the first installation that you
could play tetris while waiting for the install is no longer.  May it R.
I. P.

I'm tired of unsubstantiated garbage going across this list.  Please,
either speak from personal experience, or provide sources.  Don't spread
hearsay or "slashdot-say" as verified fact.  There's enough lies and
deception on the Internet without it.

Joseph