[TriLUG] Novell jumps into Linux

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Wed Jun 25 07:34:41 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 24 June 2003 05:07 pm, Jon Carnes wrote:
> OpenLDAP is about 2 years away from being what e-directory is now. I
> have no doubts that OpenLDAP *will* catchup with e-directory, but for
> now the tools used for OpenLDAP are quite crude and very limited.

+1

> E-dir integrates transparently with the file serving, the print serving,
> the messaging, and of course directory rights.  This is why folks will
> *pay* for it.

+1

> By the time you have setup the non-transparent OpenLDAP controls for
> Samba, Cups, and Postfix - you will have put in enough consulting hours
> that you could have bought e-directory.

+100

> Novell coming into the market is a very good thing.  They bring a lot of
> Enterprise support capability.  I know some folks like to joke about
> that, and some folks think that Novell is dead, but ask the millions of
> huge customers that still use Novell and you will find that part of
> their loyalty is due to Novell's customer and technical support.

We all can tell nightmarish support stories with companies from Redmond,WA
(even with the 'Gold prefered partner' level). Then, I only have praise for
the different Novel support options (from knowledge databases to live
engineers on the phone).

Salut,
Sinner
--
Stallman Reads my Tutorials! http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/Steel/rms.html
Running on Mandrake Linux 9.0 - Kernel  2.4.19smp  Linux User # 89976