[TriLUG] Novell jumps into Linux

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Wed Jun 25 08:16:21 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 07:40 AM, Jim Ray wrote:

> wouldn't it be possible to script all setup to automate those
> procedures?

Yep.

Most of the pain is in the initial configuration of OpenLDAP.  You can
certainly automate the initial population of LDAP, and there are
scripts in the OpenLDAP distribution that go a long way towards
automating this.  I have to give props to Red Hat here;  their
authconfig tool goes the next step and automates a lot of the pain of
configuring your PAM and nsswitch settings to lookup against LDAP (I
wish some other distros would pick up this tool).

There is nothing special to do for Samba;  it just passes
authentication up to the host OS by default, and if your host OS is
configured to auth against LDAP then so will Samba.  Yes, there are
things you can do to make Samba work directly with LDAP but it is more
work.  But if you're going to go there, you can additionally set up
another schema for containing Windows userland attributes, and can much
more effectively act as a PDC in an NT 4 domain (which is increasingly
less useful with the Windows 2000 domain model and the upcoming .NET
poison in Windows 2003).

I haven't even tried propagating printer definitions via LDAP yet, but
it sounds like something worth looking at.  Then again only a few of my
systems ever have a need to print (and when they do, one print job
could easily fill several tractor trailers... kudos to CUPS for keeping
up with this kind of workload!) so I have been manually configuring
CUPS host by host.

Postfix is so easy to set up, and there are only a few lines needed in
the config files to enable using LDAP for aliases or for routing tables.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
"From the Fury of the Norsemen please Deliver us, Oh Lord"