[TriLUG] Re: Novell jumps into Linux

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Wed Jun 25 14:33:26 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 02:23 pm, STaylor at srspos.com wrote:
> Actually,

> In the world of IP (In this case that's intellectual property) if you were
> **paid** to write the script!

What blocks you from getting paid to write a script?

> I love it when I get paid!

Me too.

> Then the script actually belongs to the person who paid you to do the
> work.

Not exactly. The scripts belongs to whoever you decide in your agreement with
your employer. You cand ecide to, for example, license it to your employer
and retain rights to it. Or license it under dual license, like MySQL, for
example.

> They don't just buy the time it took you, or the outcome. They bought the
> means to the end.

They buy whatever you sell them.

> Where you have a case against is if they try to profit from or distribute
> that property without your permission.

That can also be covered by the license/agreement/contract/ All is flexible.

> That's when you get into software licensing which is sort of the whole
> opposite of Open Source.

Mmmm. I'm not sure that I understand what you are trying to say with this
sentence. Can you re-phrase it, please?

> Shawn

Salut,
Sinner
--
Stallman Reads my Tutorials! http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/Steel/rms.html
Running on Mandrake Linux 9.0 - Kernel  2.4.19smp  Linux User # 89976