[TriLUG] OT: winmail.dat

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jun 26 09:51:33 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 09:37, Greg Cox wrote:
> Combining..
>
> In the sense of 'Does every message needs to be verified as unaltered'
>  and 'people haven't learned self control in using it' and 'WHERE is
>  your public key so the signature does me any good,' no.

I usually GPG sign my emails.  No, every message does not really need to
be verified as un-altered, but one of the reasons for doing it is to
raise the awareness of PGP/GPG.  As far as 'where is your public key' --
the key finger print is in EVERY email I send in the signature, and the
full key is on my web site (mentioned also in the SIG), and it's on all
of the public key servers.  Don't know how I could make it easier to
find the public key.

And yes, I usually do leave off the GPG signature when I know my message
is going to folks with Outlook/Outlook Express who may not see it
correctly.  I figure TriLUG folks are smart enough to filter or ignore
the attachments if they really don't want to see them (with the email
clients I use, evolution, mozilla-mail, and pine, they don't get in the
way anyway).  Actually, TriLUG folks ought to be smart enough to ignore
or filter the winmail.dat attachments too... I'm not sure the reasons
for prolonging this conversation.

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |