[TriLUG] samba vs. webdav on small mixed-os networks?

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Fri Jun 27 13:45:05 EDT 2003

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 11:46 AM, Andrew Perrin wrote:

> Hey, that's cool - I never heard of webdav before, thanks for pointing
> it
> out. How mature is it?

It's really neat, I've played with it a bit, but don't know that all
the security issues are well understood yet so I'm going to watch it
for awhile.

One curious side effect of it, I set it up to let Quanta directly edit
my web pages on a remote server.  I use php for some simple things and
apache interpreted the php before sending me the files by webdav, so
all I got was html.  Doh.  I'm sure I could set up a virtual server or
an alias or something for my webdav stuff that wouldn't run files
through an interpreter first before serving them up.

It's worth noting that Hotmail was relaying spam for awhile
unintentionally because someone submitted mail through webdav to them
which circumvented their normal filters.

I think webdav is going to be really hot.  There is a lot of unrealized
potential there.  I just don't like being a beta tester for new stuff
like that.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish