[TriLUG] [Fwd: Important Cox E-Mail Delivery Changes]

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Fri Jun 27 15:50:19 EDT 2003

Problem:
My provider is blocking/filtering <pick a service> and I really want it.
Solution:
There are several ways to go, but they each require effort and can be
ugly if you want non-techie types to be able to use the services.

A) Run your service on a non-standard high port number.
B) Run netcat on a Linux host and do PAT
C) Get a Cisco (or some other) router and do ip nat inside source static
D) SSH tunnels - the poor man's VPN
E) Go get a crisp new $100 bill from the bank.  Invite your service
provider to lunch and matter of factly display the green while
announcing "Mr Service Provider... here I have a fine portrait of Mr.
Franklin. It can be yours if you allow me to use <hitherto-fore
prohibited service>."

Good luck