[TriLUG] Re: PCI Wireless card

Carlos J. Cela ccela at nc.rr.com
Sat Jun 28 09:14:54 EDT 2003

James,

I am running my RH 8 with a V2.4.20 (custom) kernel using a Netgear
MA311 PCI (802.11b) wireless card and a MR814 wireless router. It was
relatively easy to setup once I understood what to do. It works great. I
am very happy with the setup - I got started reading the information
posted on www.stevewatts.com/computers/pc4/#hostap. This will get you
started.

I did not use the wlan-ng driver. I configured the kernel to support
PrismII based wireless cards instead. If you want to go this path with a
Netgear MA311 card, when you configure your kernel you want to be sure
to include Prism2 chipset support, inside the Wireless LAN (non Ham
radio) section.

If you are interested in more details, let me know and I can write and
post a detailed description, including how to set up WEP security and
such -

Carlos