[TriLUG] Fileservers questions.

bp bp at itchy.kicks-ass.org
Wed Jul 2 22:18:31 EDT 2003

My fileserver project has found more hardware now.  I'm hoping the
performance guru's can give me a heads up on the best way to set it up.
It will be used for two purposes, #1 server huge files (product/middleware
installs)  #2 give users access to fgrep * search a large java source
tree.  Nothing is that important, not concerned about fault tolerance or
loss of data should something melt down.

The Gear I've collected
Dell P3-500 tower.
Primary IDE: 12g & 15g drive
Secondary IDE: 120g & cdrom
3com 10/100 card

I figure the os will go on the two small drives & I'll create a huge 120g
partition to do filesharing.

So for the two smaller drives I thought I'd a 1g swap partition and then
RAID0 for a ~24g / partition.

Then format the 120g as a single ext2 partition.  Read somewhere that ext2
performs faster than the ext3 or other JFS's.  (On UPS, so not too worried
about hard resets & fsck time as someone recommended XFS for this reason.)

Any one have some better idea's?  Remember, I'm trying to get my team
hooked on linux.

-bp