[TriLUG] Re: vsftp on Redhat - no xinetd conf file

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Jul 7 23:49:38 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 22:04, James Manning wrote:
> It can't be *that* weird - I don't have postfix served out of (x)inetd
> but noone asks me why not :)

Well, my clients only use ftp once a day to back data off the servers...
It's kind of a waste of resources to leave it running, plus its
traditionally run out of inetd (or xinetd), plus the documentation for
vsftp says to run it out of inetd (or xinetd).

While I don't run postfix out of xinetd, but I do run pop and imap from
there (and traditionally ftp).

But I don't want to get into a pissing contest.  I want to know if the
rpm for vsftpd is fscked up - or if I'm just missing something
interesting.  Plus I was putting my work-around into the archives,
should someone else run into the same foible.

Jon Carnes