[TriLUG] Open Source CRM

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Wed Jul 9 17:26:29 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 14:19, Jim Ray wrote:
> i'll need quickbooks, dreamweaver, photoshop, pagemaker and autocad
> running in WINE before i can totally write off winders.

With so many windows apps to run I would definitely recommend Win4Lin,
then you don't have to totally write off winders.  :)

> that's pretty cool that Act! runs with WINE.  as chef justin would say,
> woo! dog.  i likes de wine.

As far as the open-source alternatives:

quickbooks - *maybe* gnucash, although I was not impressed the
first time I tried it.  (I just apt-get'ed it to give it a second
try though...)

dreamweaver - there are no alternatives, open-source or otherwise IMHO.
There are some very nice web editors (Quanta comes to mind) but none of
them have half the functionality of dreamweaver.  I hear there are bugs
with running dw with the wine configurations (something to do with the
color picker, IIRC) so this may be a job for win4lin...

photoshop - gimp, if you don't need CMYK and a few other functions, its
great for web graphics.  I'm still partial to photoshop though, I can't
stand the gimp interface...

pagemaker and autocad - don't know, but I'll be win4lin runs them!

BTW, I do not work for Netraverse ;) , I just love win4lin because it allowed
me to convert all the machines on my home network to linux (RH7.3 & 9) and
I dont have to screw around with wine or multi-boot my systems.

I actually have one copy of win4lin installed on my fastest box, I can ssh
from my other boxes and run windows via remote X (only one at a time per
license).  It will run windows in a 'window' or you can run in full screen,
I use alt-ctrl-f8 & alt-ctrl-f7 to switch between X and Windows in full screen.
Another nice thing, your C: drive is ~/win and your D: drive is ~/mydata, I am
able to access the same files from either OS at any time, nice if you like to
do web design in Dreamweaver but would like to edit your graphics with gimp.  :)

Just my $.02

--mike