[TriLUG] OT: Linux/UNIX book recommendations needed

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 10 14:17:14 EDT 2003

A good friend of mine landed a job down in CLT and he has to learn
about system administration of all things command line.  Not only does
he need to know administration he needs to learn about the general
workings and operations of:

UNIX (AIX, Solaris, and maybe HP-UX)
Linux (not sure which distro, probably RH)
BSD (unsure of which distro, probably FreeBSD)

(I've already told him to get on the list, get some extra hardware
thrown together, and install the some distros).

Marty, the friend who landed the job, already has a strong background
in MS systems as well as routed networks from the very tiny to the
very, very large.  He's smarter than the average bear so he's able to
pick things up fairly quickly, but the books still have to cover the
basics then hopefully progress to more difficult topics.  That said,
what books do you recommend?

I was thinking of Essential System Administration by Aeleen Frisch
would be a good one.

What are the other good ones?

Greg