[TriLUG] OT: Linux/UNIX book recommendations needed

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jul 10 14:23:45 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 14:17, Greg Brown wrote:

> Marty, the friend who landed the job, already has a strong background
> in MS systems as well as routed networks from the very tiny to the
> very, very large.  He's smarter than the average bear so he's able to
> pick things up fairly quickly, but the books still have to cover the
> basics then hopefully progress to more difficult topics.  That said,
> what books do you recommend?
>
> I was thinking of Essential System Administration by Aeleen Frisch
> would be a good one.

I have at least two editions of this book and can heartily recommend it,
especially since it's not Linux-centric, yet covers Linux-related
things.  This is something he'll need as he learns both UNIX and Linux.

I can also recommend Perl for System Administrators, also from O'Reilly,
for when he gets the basics down and is ready to start automating tasks
with Perl.

--Jeremy
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |