[TriLUG] Group Samba authentication

Chris Bullock cgbullock at cox.net
Mon Jul 14 20:18:45 EDT 2003

I have a quick question about authentication of samba shares.  If you can tell
samba to look at an NT server for user authentication why can't you tell it
to look at that same server for group authentication or can you?  I have an
NT domain that has serveral groups defined but since we have all our file
sharing on Samba servers the groups serve no purpose.  Everytime you create a
samba share, you have to create a group on the local machine and edit the
group file so that the appropriate people have access to the group files.  I
know that maybe LDAP is possibly an answer but we are not using that for
domain authentication, so does anyone have any suggestions?
TIA
--cgb