[TriLUG] OT: WiFi Cantennas and more

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 15 08:06:06 EDT 2003

Ian:

You're going to have quite a time hooking up a cantenna to a TiBook .
The only way I can figure to do that is to drill through the body to
allow pigtail to enter the TiBook at some point then route through the
book to the card.  If you don't mind risking that, I'd say go for it
(because the reception on 15" TiBooks is horrible - but do see the note
at the end of this e-mail).

The good news is the Airport connector is the same as the
Lucent/Agere/Proxim Orinoco, so there are plenty of pigtails to work
with.  Check out Fleeman, Anderson, and Bird Corp - they have pigtails
with N-Female and N-Male ends in different lengths
(http://www.fab-corp.com).  FAB-corp also carries a "cantenna kit" that
takes nearly all the guess work out of building a cantenna (but the kit
is about $20.00 so you'll have to weigh the "do-it-yourself" vs "paying
a lot of a connector I might be able to build" approach).   For
assembly instructions for a cantenna check out:

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Otherwise, that's about it.  You're a brave man for drilling through
your TiBook, if you do indeed take that route.  I'd really suggest
checking to see if a standard Lucent Orinoco card would work in your
TiBook's PCMCIA slot before drilling - they are, after all, the same
chipset as the 802.11b airport cards.

Greg