[TriLUG] Re: [TriLUG] RH 9 install & bad ram

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Jul 15 21:24:25 EDT 2003

Hi Nathan-

Thanks for the response ... re: the 2GB swap ... I may do a fair amount
of computationally intensive calculations (one run taking 2+ hrs as far
as I've seen). In what cases would increasing the swap be beneficial?

I'm going to run the memory tests over the next day or so as well ...

Thanks,
Doug

---
2GB is a bit excessive for most people. 2x memory is not a rule, it is
just a suggestion. If you plan to do 'software suspend', you will need
a larger swap than one who does not. It also depends on what sorts of
programs you run. 1 GB is plenty of swap in most cases, although one
can never have too much swap space.