[TriLUG] TriLUG in the news - SCO case article in N&O

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Jul 15 22:29:44 EDT 2003

Hey folks,

TriLUG member Don Rosenburg was quoted today in the News and Observer,
in a business section article about the SCO lawsuit.  See below for an
excerpt.

====
Lawsuit casts cloud over Red Hat
Linux fans say SCO seeking to intimidate

By CHRISTINA DYRNESS, Staff Writer

RALEIGH -- Mention the "SCO issue" to devotees of the Linux computer
operating system and prepare for eye-rolling, scoffing and conspiracy
theories.

[snip...]

Linux devotees say the SCO issue is just another FUD campaign -- fear,
uncertainty and doubt. Linux users contend that the notion, spread by
established software companies, that using Linux is risky has held back
the acceptance of the alternative operating system.

"The big perception from the community is that this is classic FUD,"
said Don Rosenberg, president of Stromian Technologies of Durham, author
of a book on open source and member of the Triangle-Area Linux Users
Group.

But Rosenberg says he hasn't seen any slowdown in the acceptance of
Linux.

"I don't think it's going to go anywhere," Rosenberg said of SCO's legal
claim. "And I'm rather pleased that nobody seems to be paying much
attention to it."

[snip...]

====
The whole article is available here (for a couple of weeks at least) :
http://newsobserver.com/business/story/2694454p-2498213c.html

Thanks Don for contributing to the article!

Jeremy Portzer
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |