[TriLUG] Linux Certifications?

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Wed Jul 16 21:05:13 EDT 2003

Hey fellow LUG'ers, I have a question about Linux certification(s).

What options are there for certification in linux? I know about RHCE (duh),
Linux+ from CompTIA, and I've heard mention of SAIR and LPI.  But I'm
wondering things like:

What other (if any) Linux oriented certifications are there?

How hard are the various ones to obtain (relatively speaking..
compared to RHCE perhaps, as it has a reputation for being
extremely challenging)

How much credibility / recognition do the various certifications have?
I would think that again, RHCE would be the benchmark... true / false?
How do the others compare to RHCE?

Also, FWIW, I'm thinking about the possibility (depending on the answers
I get to this message!) of pursuing a Linux cert.  I know I'm nowhere near
ready for the RHCE, so I'm thinking about maybe the Linux+ (presuming
it's a little easier than RHCE). If not Linux+, maybe on of the others...
Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else would be interested in getting
a study group together to work on one of the other certs.  I know that a
bunch
of Tri-LUG'ers just finished up a RHCE study group, so I'm thinking maybe
we have a batch of people like myself.. know some linux, but nowhere
near enough for RHCE, that might want to study together for one of the
"lesser" certs.

Thoughts / comments / flames / etc. welcome...

TTYL,

Phil