[TriLUG] Linux Certifications?

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Thu Jul 17 15:27:20 EDT 2003

> and instead chose the
> RHCT as an entry-level certification. Sure, the RHCT is more expensive
> at $349, but it shows you have the real hands-on experience.

I didn't even know there *was* something known as RHCT...  so RHCT
is Red Hat's "entry level" cert? If so, that is something I
certainly find interesting.  Looks like it's time to head
over to redhat.com and do some digging...

> I'm not sure that the Linux+ has a lot of credibility, but I'm not
> really involved in hiring or anything where I'd know for sure.  The RHCT
> hasn't been around that long but hopefully gains some credibility as a
> lesser version of the RHCE.

That makes sense... In the networking world, CCIE is clearly the "big dog"
of certifications... but Cisco's own CCNA and CCDA are still recognized
as valuable / legitimate / whatever.

> You're welcome to join the RHCE study group list too, or come to the
> meetings, even if you don't think you're quite ready for it.  You can
> lurk and ask questions and hopefully learn from it.

Actually, I'm already on the list... I just never post, since I had decided
a while back that I wasn't ready to pursue the RHCE yet....

What's the RHCE group doing now? I was thinking you guys had basically
finished
this "round" of studies...  Or is the group perpetual, studying
continuously
and people just test when they feel ready?

Either way, maybe it would be worth seeing if a group of people want to
work together on preparing for RHCT?  Some of you guys and gals who are
(soon to be) new RHCE's could probably help a lot with getting us n00b's
prepared.. :-)  If you all were so inclined, of course....

TTYL,

Phil