[TriLUG] /dev/cdrom

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Jul 18 13:11:20 EDT 2003

/dev/cdrom is always a symlink, to something like /dev/hdb for the
actual device, as you suspected.

Try something like 'dmesg | grep hd' -- is the CD-ROM detected at all
during the kernel boot ?  (You may also try 'dmesg|grep sd' in case
you're using IDE-SCSI.)

Also, do you have evidence that this CD-ROM works at all on the laptop?
I have problems with mine from time to time; probably hardware related.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |