[TriLUG] Status: Time for Linux, perhaps Lindows or Mandrake ?

w4chl at amsat.org w4chl at amsat.org
Sun Jul 20 18:37:27 EDT 2003

Can anyone add more to these guys before they start down the
Micro$oft route ?

BTW - thank you VERY much for coming to the Cary Swapfest. We should get
together with you guys and have a more fully loaded Ham workstation for
support of digital modes, especially APRS and PSK31.

My preference is Redhat, mainly because I'm more familiar with it , though
I've toyed with Lindows (less impressed). What about a supplemental CD for
Linux users to install support for modes above on a Linux PC or laptop.
Your help and advice on what to put in that build would be appreciated.

And I've got kids at Phillips MS working on Cybiko PDAs to support ham
radio. The tools are available from Linux, have to admit haven't pursued
them at this point, but the Window$ build tools are very Linux/Unix
makefile oriented and lend themselves well to transition into a Linux
environment.

Cheers & 73s de Mark W4CHL

--------------------forwarded note-------------------
Dear Youth of Today,

A couple of things, as mentioned earlier do you have any familiarity with
Linux ?

There are at least two versions (distributions) of Linux that are very
well documented, easy to install, and have good support. Each includes
Star
Office as mentioned earlier and one needs only have one full version (or
lots
of patience in downloading and installing !) in order to be able to load
all your donated machines with a very up to date, and Windows-like
operating
environment.

If you are mainly going to offer:
- Internet access
- Interaction with PCs via web based programs and sites
- web based e-mail
- ability to download and print
- and don't want to deal with as many of the virus and worm issues as
Microsoft users do

Then Linux may be for you. There are also wonderful regional Linux support

groups that can help you with specific questions. The biggest in the area
is the Triangle Linux group, see:
http://www.trilug.org/

Even though you can go the Microsoft route by possibly getting older
licenses donated (that haven't been part of upgrades), I think you should
contact Triangle Linux User's group (they have a mailing list from the web
site
before purusing "donations" of Microsoft software.

Cheers de Mark Smith, W4CHL
OC ARES liaison to PARC  rtpnet.org/parc