[TriLUG] Re: Help! Wireless problems

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Tue Jul 22 09:49:40 EDT 2003

> I have an SMC Barricade WAP. I can set the channel or the SSID or try
> encryption, but up until now I've not had a problem.

IMHO, setting the ESSID's prob. the best route.  Not setting one is
fine for the "whatever AP is available" mode, but it sounds like
that's the core problem here :)

If you want the "any AP available, just not his" (so that you can
still go roaming to Bear Rock Cafe or whatever), then it should be a
doable hack to have the ifcfg scripts (or post ones, or whatever) to
check the AP mac after the device is up and if it matches his, set the
ESSID to yours specifically and cycle.

an AP mac blacklist and ESSID blacklist would be nice features for the
scripts in the general sense :)

Course, this is all assuming that setting ESSID (good) or WEP (better)
aren't preferrable options.
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4