[TriLUG] cool underexposed Linux toys - LVM

Ron Joffe ron.joffe at sienatech.com
Thu Jul 24 07:42:23 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 09:45 pm, Magnus wrote:

> I know that Red Hat 9 has LVM support in the installer, and I am told
> Mandrake has had this for some time.  Older versions of Red Hat don't
> seem to have full support for this, and by extension some of the Red
> Hat offshoots don't seem to yet.  The HOWTO describes, well, HOW TO
> install LVM on systems that don't already have it.

Just a quick note on LVM and OS support. We needed to have LVM support on Red
Hat Advanced Server (RHAS). However without rendering the kernel
unsupportable (by Red Hat's terms) we were not able to provide our customers
with LVM under RHAS. For those of us who have come to learn and really
appreciate LVM, this is extremely frustrating to have an "Enterprise" version
of Linux without LVM.

If you are looking for a distro which has complete OS level support for LVM, I
would like to point you toward SuSE's line of products, not only have they
been supporting LVM for quite a number of years, they have one of the
absolutely slickest LVM interfaces I have seen in any Linux / Unix OS. You
have the option of digging in really deep and exposing all of the wonderful
low level LVM commands, or using a GUI which completely masks all of the
operations, and provides you a "no-brainer" approach to LVM.

Ron

--
Ron Joffe
Siena Tech, Inc.