[TriLUG] Mail class followup question (sendmail->postfix)

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Jul 28 08:42:11 EDT 2003

Wow, good old Red Hat 6.2!  One of my favorite distro's.  I think I
still have a few of those running at various internal locations.
Updating the SSL was b**ch...

If your existing box is this old, you can probably replace it for a
couple of hundred dollars with a new-to-you box, and it will be an
upgrade.  That would let you build your mailserver on a new distro (like
RH 9), and get the server up and running with all the services you want.

Everything you've specified is really very easy to install on RH 9,
much, much easier than when you installed it on RH 6.2.  The RPM's are
much better now, and IMAP/POP3 come built in with SSL support, as does
Postfix.

The README's for the services all assume that you want SSL and have nice
sections pointing you to where their config files go.  RH (and Mandrake)
also automatically generate self-signed certs which are put in place for
you (in RH /usr/share/ssl/certs ).

All in all, it's much less work than it used to be to bring a Mail
server on line.  Generally it takes me 4 to 8 hours, depending on what
the client wants included in the setup.

Good Luck, and if you have questions, you know where to ask!

 - Jon Carnes