[TriLUG] e-mail server class

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Mon Jul 28 13:32:46 EDT 2003

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 12:09  PM, kafuin wrote:

> hopefully this message will demonstrate that, thanks to saturday's
> class, i
> now have my e-mail server correctly configured.  thank you jtower for
> the
> extra bit of help on sunday ;)

Indeed, it *is* working right.

However, after looking at your headers, I think there is some room for
further improvement.  It looks like you're forwarding all of your
outbound mail to the RR MTA.  This is only necessary for a few
braindead ISP's that block incoming mail originating from all broadband
users.  In Postfix you can set up a transport map so that, for example,
all mail for *@*.rr.com or *@aol.com gets routed through your ISP's
relay.  All other mail can go directly from your host to the final
destination.  This improves transit time, and reduces your dependency
on the sometimes broken RR servers ("If you want something done
right...").

Take a look at the thread starting with this message on how to address
the broken ISP scenario more effectively with Postfix:
	http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20030331/015384.html

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish