[TriLUG] iptable question

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jul 29 19:41:18 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 18:19, Mark Fowle wrote:
> I am trying to setup a proxy server - I want to send all internal port
> 80 requests to a specific host and say port 8080 -- What iptable rule
> would I use -- (I'm going brain-dead) :-)  I have a primary web server
> for incoming only so I don't want to hose that up -
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Here is an example similar to your need:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Linux_Networking/Q_20661986.html

I always use xinetd for this, it's a piece of cake. The bottom of this article has a nice example of using xinetd for the redirection:
http://linux-rep.fnal.gov/rhl-rg-en-8.0/s1-tcpwrappers-xinetd.html

(if you only have one interface, you don't need the bind command)

Here is another article that has some nice info, including how to run a
service out of xinetd chrooted.
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/November2000/article175.shtml

Good luck - Jon Carnes