[TriLUG] Problems with Redhat 9/2.4.20-19.9

Brian Weaver weave at oculan.com
Mon Aug 4 09:26:02 EDT 2003

Hello All,

I've got a server at home that has been running fine for what is almost
2 years. I've had no problems with the box until recently, and then only
with the latest kernels that ship with RedHat 9.

The problem appears to be with the 3Ware RAID card. Lest you think that
the card is going bad, I've got another server at home that is currently
off because of non-computer issues (Heat Generation and Household A/C
issues) that is having an identical problem with the new kernels.

Note, I said the problem appears to be with the 3Ware card..... It's
actually a kernel panic that occurs when writing to the scsi device that
  targets the 3Ware card. When I use a custom made 2.4.19 that the
system has been running for at least 6 months to a year the system works
perfectly!

I was having issues with the latest RedHat kernels before I upgraded the
system in question from 8.0 to 9.0. Does anyone know of any existing
problem with 3Ware 6000 and 7000 series cards on the latest RedHat kernels?

I've attached the /var/log/messages file section from where I rebooted
the system last night with the 2.4.20-19.9 standard redhat kernel. At 5
AM there is a cron job that rsync's some files from an offsite location
onto the RAID 5 share. If you look at the messages file it's 5:00:03 am
when the system goes BOOM!

In addition to the messages file I've also attach the technical
information from the 3dmd process on the local system.

-Weave