[TriLUG] Novell Acquires Ximian

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Mon Aug 4 13:36:40 EDT 2003

On Monday 04 August 2003 01:21 pm, Jon Carnes wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 13:00, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
> > - From the press release:
> >
> > http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/08/pr03051.html
> >
> > "Novell Acquires Ximian to Expand Linux Solutions and Open Source
> > Commitment
>
> Dude! That is sooo cool. The Ximian guys are going to have steady income
> now, and the next iteration of Netware (version 7) is going to be even
> cooler.

This gives Novell a solid foot into the Linux camp, while providing the Linux
camp another corporate speaker.

Also, this sends another signal. Novell seems pretty confident that SCO FUD
will not work.

> I wonder if Novell will be offering a drop-and-insert replacement for
> Exchange next year?

Ximian says that it's working on the Exchange-connector to work with Novell's
Groupwise. Groupwise works pretty much as an Exchange-replacement. It was
pretty nice in 2000. Now, sure it's better.

And some magic words here: Novell eDirectory.

:)

> Jon

Salut,
Sinner
--
Stallman Reads my Tutorials! http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/Steel/rms.html
Running on Mandrake Linux 9.0 - Kernel  2.4.19smp  Linux User # 89976