[TriLUG] IDE RAID vs. md

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Mon Aug 4 14:43:27 EDT 2003

software raid (md raid) works very well with mirroring (raid level 1).
there's really no need to invest in a hardware raid controller unless
you need maximum performance, in which case you'd probably be using
scsi anyway.  you'll notice a performance hit on a slow machine since
IDE disks suck up some cpu cycles as they go about their business, and
you'll have two of them working simultaneously.  but it's barely
noticable on anything slower that an a PII.  and if you are using them
in a backup box like lisa mentioned, then performance is not much of an
issue anyway.

jason