[TriLUG] Webalizer followup

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 4 15:49:49 EDT 2003

Last week somebody recommended webalizer for simple log analysis...I
wanted to thank that person - since it was already installed with RH9,
all I had to do was create a 'usage' folder under /var/www/html for
the web pages and it automagically started working!

I was planning to ask this followup question:
"Once a time period has been analyzed, do I need to keep the corresponding
  log files?  Can I remove them, or does webalizer analyze the entire set
  of log files each time?"

I didn't really want to RTFM, but figured I should at least RTFFAQ and
RTFreadme...they partially answered my question:

"Since Webalizer 1.2, it supports 'incremental' processing of data to
  process only parts of a logfile at a time."  (paraphrased)

However, further reading indicates that this is meant for log files that
are so big they need to be rotated _more_ than once/day.  This does not
apply to me...so I think my question remains unanswered:

If I delete my old log files, will Webalizer keep old monthly stats?  What
about yearly stats?  Should I keep log files around until the end of the
year?  Does it it even produce yearly stats?

I noticed that last months pages are untouched since the 1st of the month,
which leads me to beleive that they are NOT touched after the end of the
month...

Chris

--
Chris Merrill