[TriLUG] Samba question

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Tue Aug 5 16:54:59 EDT 2003

i recently had a very similar situation at a client site, i was trying
to mount a share from a NT box on their linux server.  *sometimes* the
mount command would hang, even though the mount operation worked.  i
don't recall that i ever found the root cause of the problem, but you
might try:

run the mount command from rc.local and append a & to background the
process, so if it hangs after mounting it won't affect anything.

try automount and see if that works more reliably.

use smbmount instead of mount + fstab, it's basically the same thing but
worth trying.

backtrack to an older version of samba, or grab the latest and greatest
from samba.org.

good luck roy!

jason