[TriLUG] Setting up a tape backup system

Dan Monjar daniel.monjar at na.biomerieux.com
Wed Aug 6 11:11:37 EDT 2003

--On Tuesday, August 05, 2003 02:54:31 PM -0400 Ryan Leathers
<ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com> wrote:

> One of my co-workers is setting up a tape backup system. He is using an
> older DEC TZ877 (DLT holding 7 tapes).  So far dmesg shows that the scsi
> controller sees the hardware and /dev/st0 would appear to be the device
> to use.
>
> I have little experience with this sort of thing so I don't know how to
> respond to David's questions which are basically:
>
> How should the tape device be mounted - do you mount a single tape?
> How can individual tapes be mounted depending on the day of week?
> Is there a slick way to do this (David likes GUI so GUI=slick)?
>
> Any advice or suggested references are appreciated.  Be gentle please,
> David is slowly breaking free of the shackles of MS bondage... and soon
> enough he'll be a trilug member too.
>
> --
> Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com>
> Global Knowledge

I use these under Tru64 Unix and OpenVMS.  Tru64 see the auto-changer as
another SCSI device and makes it possible to send commands to the
auto-changer.  The basic, not for a fee, software included does real
redinmentary control of the library.

I don't do that.  Under both Unix and VMS I simple use it as a normal tape
drive and rely on the fact that when tape 0 is sent off-line the unit will
automatically load tape 1 and so forth.  Unfortunately, when you get to
tape 6 it won't go back to 0.  Someone needs to hit a button.

I don't know what happens when a tape is filled during a backup.  I always
make sure I can get a full backup on one tape.  The TZ87 drive is DTL 2000
so it will go 20/40GB.  I also have a TZ887 drive that uses a DLT 4000
drive, it will go 40/80GB.

--
Daniel Monjar
IS Manager, Technical Services