[TriLUG] Re: Copyright protection

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Wed Aug 6 17:03:40 EDT 2003

John Beimler wrote:
> Andrew Perrin wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Gnu Man wrote:
>>
>>> I was hoping to find some documentation that would not hold the users or
>>> developers responsible for code that they did not know was obtained
>>> illegally.

Normally, I just lurk and read.... With that said, this thread has been an
interesting read both socially and in terms of legalities. Personally, I
have
had a great deal of experience with the management style of what is now
known as SCO. My experiences with them are that of a resellers (point
of view) and were developed over a period of two years as a Caldera
reseller.
As we all know, SCO is populated with the old Caldera management team.

Anyway, this is what I know from being in business with them:

1.) They never mean what they say.
2.) They lie to thier resellers.
3.) They lie to thier endusers.

In short, they are not trustworthy. We finally had as much fun as we could
stand and fired them and went with RH and SuSE.

What we are witnessing are the death throws of a company that should
have died years ago, but has been kept alive with Ray Noorda's money. What's
both ironic and funny to me is that I have yet to see anyone on this
list (Or any
other list, for that matter) to acknowledge that Ray Noorda and the Canopy
Group have had *everything* to do with the actions of SCO. Everybody
that is
on the Board of Directors of SCO was hand picked by Mr. Noorda. Further,
what
we are witnessing is Mr. Noorda trying to recoup the millions of dollars
that he has
lost in this venture.

Best regards

Marvin Dickens