[TriLUG] semi-OT updates: RH 9 install & boot problems

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Thu Aug 7 10:18:52 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 09:35, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> 2. computer boot problems. i broke down and took the computer into the
> shop. it turns out more than 10 capacitors (i think they were
> capacitors) were blown on the motherboard. anyone know what would cause
> that to happen, other than perhaps a nuclear explosion?

Had the exact same thing happen here with a bunch of Compaq Celeron
machines.  Apparently, there was a huge batch of bad capacitors sold to
the motherboard manufacturers, bad electrolyte or something.  These caps
have a problem with bulging, leaking and/or exploding.  Our pc's were
re-booting intermittently or not starting at all.  Long story short:  A
Compaq service tech informed us of a capacitor problem on many of the
motherboards he worked on, after opening a few cases we found bulging
leaky caps.  "Tayeh" is the brand name on these caps, but I hear
"Jackcon" caps also have problems.  Fortunately, we just had a little
leakage at the top of the caps, so there was no damage/short circuit
from the electrolytic fluid.  After ordering 200 1500 microfarad, 10v
caps from digikey.com (at around $.50 each in qty > 199) and a little
soldering work with my (ESD safe) soldering iron, we now have 5 working
(been tested continuous for 48 hours now) PC's again.  Now just 15 more
to go...

If you have these bad capacitors on your motherboard, you should get
them replaced as soon as possible.  If the fluid leaks out on to the
circuit board it could cause a short circuit and cause more damage,
probably not easily repaired...  Find someone with *some* soldering
skills (if you don't); its not a difficult job, but a small screw-up
could render your board useless.

Hope this helps!

--mike

Here is some additional info: